Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Child's Wisdom


The other night, my seven year-old son came to me and said, "Mommy, I don't care what the kids in my class say, I have the dignity to eat peas!" For him, the playground dynamics had been standing between him and enjoying a vegetable he loved.


That night as we enjoyed peas with our dinner, I wondered how many times I like the dignity and respect for myself to stand up for what I believe in the face of my peers opinions. How many times have I given up on something because those around me said it wasn't possible or worth the effort. Or how many times have I looked at a problem only at the surface level and failed to understand the relational structure and dynamics of the situation, leaving myself a prisoner of the situation? How many times have I lacked the dignity to eat peas?

No comments: