Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Saving My Life

Luke 9:24 says, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it." Over the years I've struggled with this verse. How can I apply it to my life so that it changes me? That is after all the point of faith - to change one's life for the better.

Tonight as I was reading this verse again and thinking about all the new things I am starting in my life right now, I had one of those ah-ha moments. I have dreams and aspirations, but purposefully chasing them requires that I change who I am right at this moment. I've started a new business and gone back to school. All of which require me to do things that push me out of my comfort zone. I could save who I am right now, but I will lose out on who I am in terms of my own potential. I could also let go of who I am, work through the discomfort of living outside my comfort zone and emerge on the other side myself, but only better.

The same is true as I strive to become more like Christ. I cannot hold onto my habits, thought processes and attitudes that I have used all my life and hope to become a "new creature." But, if I dare to let go of my old self the sky's the limit to how much better I can be. And I can save myself!

No comments: